Eating healthy and exercising regularly are key to your physical health. But did you know they’re also important to your skin and scar health? From drinking plenty of water to committing to a fitness routine, a healthy lifestyle can do wonders for your skin.
Smooth Skin Routine
Check out these healthy living tips that will help you enjoy smoother skin, with less noticeable scars:
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water improves your skin’s elasticity while reducing the signs of dryness and roughness.
- Eat foods high in antioxidants. Foods like leafy greens, salmon, and yellow and orange fruits and veggies have a protective effect on your skin. You can also eat yogurt with probiotics to treat and prevent skin conditions such as acne and eczema, along with damage caused by UV rays.
- Exercise. Regular aerobic exercise improves the composition of the skin, making the outer layers thinner and the inner layers thicker. This results in smoother, younger-looking skin.
- Get enough sleep. You’ve heard of beauty sleep, right? Well, it’s actually true. The more sleep you get, the more chance your body has to repair itself. It does this by increasing blood flow and collagen production, repairing UV damage, and reducing wrinkles and sun spots.
- Protect yourself from the sun. UV rays are very damaging to your skin’s DNA, resulting in dryness, premature aging, and a high risk of skin cancer. To combat these effects, use sunscreen, remain indoors during peak sun time (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), and wear protective clothing.
- Don’t smoke. Exposure to tobacco smoke leads to wrinkles and premature skin aging, along with a higher risk of skin disorder, including psoriasis and acne.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Alcohol consumption has been connected to skin photodamage, which is basically damage brought on by sunlight. Drinking too much will dehydrate you as well. Limit your alcoholic beverage intake to one or two per day.
Healthy Skin Products
There are many OTC products you can use to affordably keep your skin smooth. Try:
- Skin exfoliators. Scrubs slough away dead built-up skin cells that may make your face look uneven or rough.
- Alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). These exfoliate the skin, promote collagen, improve blood flow, minimize wrinkles, and treat skin discoloration.
- Moisturizers. These add another layer of protection for your skin, helping it to stay hydrated.
- Mild, gentle cleansers. Wash your face with a gentle, alcohol-free, non-abrasive cleanser twice a day.
- Silicone Scar Gel: Apply a scar gel treatment like Scarfade as directed, usually twice a day, in a gentle, circular motion. This will minimize the appearance of any scars you may have.
Check out more about our products here! It’s time you improved your skin health and scar treatment with these lifestyle changes.