Facial scars are some of the worst kind, because they’re so visible to yourself and others. It’s hard to have high self-confidence when you’re hampered by insecurities about how you look. If you have a scar on your face, you may be wondering how you can minimize it naturally, without having to resort to invasive procedures such as surgery.
We’re here to tell you all about natural remedies and non-surgical options like Scarfade ointment that can help reduce the appearance of your facial scars, no matter how they originated.
Here are some tips to follow:
- Keep it clean: The AAD recommends keeping the site of the injury clean at all times. You can do this by gently washing the area a couple times a day with mild soap and warm water. This will discourage debris, germs and bacteria.
- Keep it moist: Keeping the injury site moist is also key. You can do this with simple petroleum jelly, but something that’s even better? Scarfade silicone gel, which actually helps to slow down the buildup of collagen that can lead to scarring. This will also keep the wound from drying out and scabbing over. It’s easy to pick at scabs, but this can lead to unnecessary scarring. And you don’t want it to get too deep or itchy. Avoid this altogether by keeping the area moist. Anti-bacterial ointments are not necessary, provided you are cleaning the wound daily.
- Keep it covered: Once you have cleaned the affected area, cover it with a bandage. You may want to use silicone sheeting to cover larger areas of sores, scrapes or burns.
- Change it often: To assist in the healing process, change out the bandage as needed, at least once a day. If you are sensitive to adhesives,go with a non-adhesive gauze pad and paper tape. If you decide to use silicone gel sheets, follow manufacturer instructions for use.
- Follow your doctor’s orders: If you had to have stitches for your injury, care for the wound according to the doctor’s recommendations. Go back to have the stitches removed when scheduled, which will further reduce scar appearance.
- Apply sunscreen: Once healed, don’t venture outside unless you have slathered on sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher. This will prevent red or brown discoloration, and will speed up fading.
- Use a cucumber mask or lotion: Cucumber has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects, as well as lightening agents that reduce redness.
- Apply frankincense or rosehip seed oil: Frankincense is an essential oil that brings anti-inflammatory properties to your skin that can reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks. Rosehip seed oil has been known to heal damaged and dehydrated skin.
- Apply aloe vera: This will reduce inflammation, swelling, and redness.
- Dab with apple cider vinegar: Dilute apple cider vinegar with water and swipe on the affected area with a cotton ball.
With many minor cuts or scrapes, all it takes is a home remedy to reduce the appearance of your facial scars. The fastest way is to use Scarfade. Just try it – you’ll be a believer!